Tuesday 20 September 2016

My name and it's history

As I have mentioned in my first blog, my name is Cedric. My parents told me that there is actually a really simple story behind why they chose it. Even though it does have some history and "legends" to it, I was given the name because someone they knew had it and my parents liked it. That is pretty much the story of how I got my name.

My mum's best friend from childhood (they are still in contact) has a son with the same pronunciation, but different spelling. Sedrik. I feel like writing this out does not feel right, mainly because I am used to spelling my name the way I do. Moving on, my parents asked her whether they could use the name, but slightly alter the spelling.

Researching my name, I came up with some interesting results. According to behindthename.com, Cedric (the way it is spelt now) was first used by Sir Walter Scott in his novel "Ivanhoe", where it has been altered from the "semi-legendary founder of kingdom of Wessex", Cerdic. The name Cerdic has no known meaning. It does not even appear in old English. However, some (my parents) say the name originated in France before moving to the english language.

Here is what I think is craziest. At least the craziest thing I have heard about my name. This was at a sports summer festival and the mother of a teammate asks me for my name. I tell her and she looked in surprise and said: "Ohh, was that not the name of the black knight?" That was the first and last time I've heard someone say that. Now that I read up on the history of my name, the novel "Ivanhoe" uses my name as the black knight, a fierce and powerful knight. This description of the name could not be more opposite than my personality. If I can avoid physical contact, I will.

But that's all there is to my name. Reading up on this, I feel like there could be more about my name if I researched more, but I am happy with what I have found and will pass on the knowledge to anyone who asks about my name (most likely no one).


sources:
http://www.behindthename.com/name/cedric
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanhoe

No comments:

Post a Comment